Monday, November 21, 2011

Beauty & the Street: Overcoming Insecurity

I have been feeling a little....off! Lately and came across this blog: http://beautyandthestreetmag.blogspot.com/. What a lovely entry, she expresses such complex feelings so simply :) Love it! 


Beauty & the Street: Overcoming InsecurityEveryone feels some sort of insecurity at one point or another in their lives, it's simply part of the human experience. However, it becomes a major problem when one begins to question themselves on a regular basis or compare themselves to other people's accomplishments and even physical appearance. Throw in a healthy does of negative self-talk and you've got a recipe for disaster. Millions of young women across the nation suffer from this terrible mental state and it can be very debilitating. I know this feeling all too well.
Since I was a young fawn I have always been introverted--the meek type who would rather sit in the corner and play with barbie by myself than build blocks with my classmates. Overtime my shyness grew out of control to the point where I barely even spoke to strangers which carried into my awkward tween years. During that time I had no choice but to speak up though deep down I really wanted to crawl into a hole and stay there. In the blink of an eye my peers were getting older and becoming more social while I regressed in that department.
Eventually timidness bloomed into low confidence and self-doubt leaving me with nothing but my heart on my sleeve and a pessimistic outlook on life. According to the voice in my head I was never beautiful, intelligent, or stylish enough to get involved with the world so I figured hey, why not stay away from it? The more I stayed alone with my thoughts the worst they became. No matter how much my friends tried to convince me that I was indeed special, nothing made me believe such a claim. I wallowed in pity as this beautiful journey called life just passed me by.
Then one day a little birdy threw a rock at my head and I got a sudden epiphany. Instead of beating myself up everyday for not being the braniac on Jeopardy or one of the pretty popular girls I began to celebrate the things I do possess that I'm proud of. Writing down lists of what I am grateful for every day as well as telling myself I am gorgeous made me realize that things weren't as bad as I made it out to be. As cheesy as it sounds beauty does shine from within. As long as that is glowing everything else will too. No one is perfect of course and I am still a work in progress. Like everything else overcoming insecurity takes time but you will get there and when you do it'll feel oh so sweet.
Ever felt insecure? How did you get over it? Tell us your story below!

Check out this blog that I came across: http://beautyandthestreetmag.blogspot.com/

No comments: