Saturday, November 19, 2011

Holiday Decoration Ideas

This season most of my money is going towards my graduate loans, which doesn't leave much left for presents and decorations. But, with a little creativity and sass my holiday season is going to be merry and bright! Here are a few ideas I am going to try: 


Photo courtesy of: www.countryliving.com
One key ingredient to DIY Holiday decorations without looking too cheesy or craft store like, is to bring the outside in. You can take a drive up the mountain or go to your back yard and take some branches off a pine tree or two (say sorry to the tree and give it a kiss for hurting it). These branches will help to decorate your holiday mantle or various focal points in your chateau. But the idea is to keep a certain grace to your look with natural elements. 
This picture is also the perfect example of how you don't need red on every surface in order to decorate your home for the holidays! Pick a nice color or color combination and make your decorations color coordinate and you will have a lovely universal look.


Photo courtesy of: http://zeospot.com
Another lovely example of bringing natural elements to a neutral decor will still bring in the feeling of the holidays without having to go overboard with color. Delicate and comfortable!


Photo courtesy of: http://jazmin-espinal.suite101.com/




Or you can bring the indoors outside to decorate a tree in your entry. I love this idea especially if you have trees or bushes lining your driveway or entry way. 












Photo courtesy of: http://futurehomedesigns.onsugar.com
It is important to use the candle light that you have in your home, this will create that cozy, intimate feeling in your space while the rain or snow comes down outside. I like to buy drip candles like these pictured above to color coordinate with my holiday decorations. Dont be afraid to work with dark colors like these black candles, but, word to the wise---make sure they are on a surface that is safe to drip on, the dark wax can stain! ehhhh!


Another idea would be to change the light bulbs in your home to ones that will create a more warm glow rather than a clear light, it will create that soft illumination that we all love when it is cold outside. 
Decorate with PINECONES, this is super cheap if you can go out into nature and get them for free. 
Photo courtesy of: http://www.goodhousekeeping.com
Make little trees with them. You can even sprinkle some glitter on them for a little extra flare that will glisten in the candle light. 


Photo courtesy of: http://www.countryliving.com
Or you can make Christmas tree ornaments from them. You can spray paint them to coordinate with your decor, or leave them plain. I will be doing this DIY project this season; I will be using fishing line to tie them on the tree so that they seem to be a natural part of it and I will be spraying a little glue to them from the top down and them will drop very delicate glitter on them so that when the tree lights are on they will glisten. 


Photo courtesy of: http://www.stylemepretty.com
I am in LOVE with this easy DIY idea. All you need is a simple candle and some lace or you could even work with a tulle. If you would like more of a vintage look you can dye the lace with tea and then tear it up a little bit. All you need is a little spray glue to attach. Perfection! This is definitely on my DIY project list! 


Photo courtesy of: http://www.realsimple.com


I am in LOVE with this name tag idea for a dinner place setting. I would hot glue gun them together in the middle and then tie them with a little burlap bow! DONE! 


Photo courtesy of: http://blog.discoversd.com
Speaking of Candy Canes...this is happening on my mantle this year! For sure! I love this idea because it is inexpensive, quick and easy! Get an old vase or a cup would do too...line up the candy canes around the vase with a rubber band. Then tie a bow around the rubber band to hide it. You can also do this with stick candy canes. 
I love this idea so much I am going to do this with candles too! 








Photo courtesy of: http://theinspiredroom.net
I have a few old glass containers like this that I use for vases all the time (thrift store finds). I love this idea of putting some Epsom salt at the bottom because it will keep the flame safe from tinsel or other highly flammable items and the salt with shimmer in the candle light. Really good idea to line these up in your entry way. 
Well these are some of the DIY projects that I will be doing this season. Pictures to come. I hope you enjoy decorating as much as I do this season! 

No comments: